Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Dangers Of Research

Research is definitely necessary for some writing. We need to check historical and factual details to make our stories realistic or at least plausible.

Where research becomes dangerous, though, is when we get so involved in it, that we sacrifice writing time.

Lately, I've been doing some research on the Battle Of Vicksburg for my story "Trumpet Of Dixie". I needed to know which regiments were present at the battle, and which ones were recruited from that area. Once I found out the information, though, I was sucked into the research, reading accounts of the battle, and other information that I didn't need. Before I knew, it was time to go to work, and I had wasted all of my writing time.

It isn't just novels with historical elements that need to be researched, though. Sci-Fi and Fantasy stories require a certain amount of research.

At least I got my research done. My characters served in the 46th Miss. Inf., the Jeff Davis Rebels. Maybe now I can get the story written without getting caught up in the research.

No comments:

Post a Comment