Friday, January 4, 2013

2013: Looking Back To Look Forward

It's the beginning of a new year, and time to set goals and resolutions, and to look forward. But... looking back at 2012, I realize I have not accomplished any of my goals for that year. I had set goals to write a certain number of short stories, novelettes, and novels. How far did I get? I got a few thousand words written, and a few story ideas.

So, this year, before I start setting my goals, I find myself looking at past goals, and trying to find out why they weren't accomplished.

My goals were certainly achievable, 10-12 short stories, 3-4 novellas, and editing 2 of my novels. But I didn't get any of them done. Why?

To some degree things did happen to distract me, or to keep me from writing, but not enough that I couldn't accomplish anything. Those goals are certainly easy to break down into smaller goals and achievable steps.

I feel the problem is in two parts. When I set long term goals, for a year, two years, five years, or whatever... my focus is on the long term, and not on accomplishing the short term goals that are necessary for reaching the long term.

The other problem is simply not sitting down and getting any writing done. Part of this goes back to the first problem of focusing only on the long term and not the short term.

So, looking back at unachieved past goals, I can see the problems that kept me from reaching them. So, what is the solution? This year, I'll keep the long term goals in mind, but focus on the short term projects that I need to finish. I'll be making time to sit down and write, even if I have to do my writing on my tablet at lunch time at work.

Right now, my focus is on getting two short stories written, edited, and published by the middle of February. I'll finish "Arrow Of Vengeance", and "Trumpet Of Dixie". That's my focus for now. When I'm done with them, I'll focus on the next project.

When 2014 comes along, I'll be able to look back at 2013, knowing I've accomplished something.

What are your goals for 2013, and how will looking back help you to look forward?

No comments:

Post a Comment